Search This Blog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Thoughts, theories, and a place to keep them.

I've been thinking this might be a good idea. Something I considered doing for some time but never followed up on. So, by way of an introduction this is my new martial arts and related topics idea catalog. Just somewhere I can get some things out of my head and hopefully make them available for discussion.

My background is in traditional Japanese and Okinawan martial arts, mostly. I define my approach to training with one general question, "How can I make this work for real?" I've found that a lot of stuff out there is built on some pretty sound fundamentals but often misunderstood. And there is a lot of junk too. I guess I'm a skeptic but I think you have to be if you want to find the 'good stuff'.

I take everything with a grain of salt. If you can show me how and why something works, it might be worth training. If, after some practice, you can make it work under pressure with repeatable results it's worth keeping. After that I'll shoot some holes in it and then it becomes it's own thing. Nothing is perfect. No technique is fail-proof. I get that. Just searching for a way to make my skills and those I pass on better.

No comments:

Post a Comment