Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2012

More kobudo theory.

It was a cold morning class. We talked a lot about teaching, learning and theories.
I'm building my hypothesis for using the kobudo kata in a practical way. Here's where I'm at so far. This, as with most things will likely change. At the least I hope it develops some but I doubt I nailed it on the first try. Today, I focused on the use of the Rokushaku bo (6 ft. staff).

Hypothetical Bo strategy:
1. The assumption that the weapon is the best way to damage/control the opponent. Don't abandon the weapon.
2. Make or maintain proper distance for the use of the weapon.
3. Damage/control opponent.

Note: this is NOT A SELF-DEFENSE STRATEGY. I'm not sure how this carries into other weapons but I'm starting small...or big as the case may be (6ft.). It is also not a sparring strategy. I have no interest in how I match up with a similarly armed opponent. In fact, historically, I think the answer to a lot of the "what if" questions with weapons is just get a better weapon or throw more guys at the opponent. This is a militaristic strategy as opposed to the solo, "Oh crap I'm getting jumped what do I do?" strategy of SD.



Looking at what we can find through historical research, the staff was commonly used by law enforcement and royal guards. These were likely the same job, just different posts. This was documented in Okinawan as well as Chinese history. Possibly even Indian or pre-Chinese. There could be more but I'm going to run with this for now. Not sure how much stock I put in the idea that peasant class warriors construed weaponry from farming implements to battle some undocumented enemy force. Much less that they had the time or desire to create an entire kata-fied system of combat for each weapon.

We also know from research that you did not have to be a skilled empty hand fighter to be skilled with a weapon. Or to even learn to use a weapon. Until fairly recently the two skills were not commonly trained under the same instructors. I think this is a big part of the loss of knowledge. When all you know is how to use a stick, that's what you focus on and perfect. Now, on top of being less practical than ever to use, the lines between the armed and unarmed arts are blurred. For example, I'm an empty hand guy. I always will be because that's what I learned first. Everything is compared to that model as I understand it. And when I get in close, my instinct is to loose the weapon the moment it becomes a hindrance. I also unknowingly change strategies and revert to close, gain initiative, control/damage, create space to exit. Further justifying the loss of the weapon. I have yet to see a kata where you drop the Bo in favor of knees and elbows.


I do see a lot of commonalities from unarmed to armed combat skills. I hope some of them prove out.

This seems natural. I don't think you can completely separate any two forms of physical combat. There are common elements for BJJ and fighting with a pair of sai. They just don't seem obvious until you have spent some time doing both.


Speaking of which, I started playing with a BJJ play group on Friday nights. The guy running the group seems to know a good amount. It will be nice to fill in some holes I have with ground work.


The really interesting thing is what I took away from the first class. I haven't been in a class in a long time where I was this far behind. Where I was this "green". I have a better understanding of what my white belt students are going through when they walk in the door. Good info to keep in the back of my head when my classes start to get a bit too complex. Simple skills, lots of reps, build on the foundation. I want to go too deep, too fast sometimes. Ok, a lot of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment